Medical Dictionary Search Engines

Please be patient! It may take up to ONE minute to load all the Engines.
Problems? Please contact our support.


Search For


Specialty Search




Other encyclopedia topics: A-Ag Ah-Ap Aq-Az B-Bk Bl-Bz C-Cg Ch-Co Cp-Cz D-Di Dj-Dz E-Ep Eq-Ez F G H-Hf Hg-Hz I-In Io-Iz J K L-Ln Lo-Lz M-Mf Mg-Mz N O P-Pl Pm-Pz Q R S-Sh Si-Sp Sq-Sz T-Tn To-Tz U V W X Y Z 0-9   

Aspergillus antigen skin test

Alternative names

Immediate Aspergillus skin test


Aspergillus is a mold. An antigen is a substance that stimulates the immune system to eliminate or fight foreign substances in the body. This skin test detects hypersensitivity to aspergillus.

How the test is performed

The test site (an area with hair, usually the forearm) is cleansed. The antigen is then injected into the area. If there is a positive reaction, the area should turn red and develop a lump (similar to a mosquito bite) within ten minutes of injection. The lump should be at least 3 millimeters in diameter to be considered positive.

How to prepare for the test

Infants and children:
The preparation you can provide for this test depends on your child's age, previous experiences, and level of trust. For general information regarding how you can prepare your child, see the following topics:
  • Infant test or procedure preparation (birth to 1 year)
  • Toddler test or procedure preparation (1 to 3 years)
  • Preschooler test or procedure preparation (3 to 6 years)
  • Schoolage test or procedure preparation (6 to 12 years)
  • Adolescent test or procedure preparation (12 to 18 years)

How the test will feel

There will be a brief sting as a needle is inserted just below the skin surface.

Why the test is performed

The test is to detect hypersensitivity to the mold aspergillus.

Normal Values

A negative reaction or no inflammation at the test site is normal.

What abnormal results mean

If a positive reaction occurs (the test site is inflamed), you are hypersensitive to the aspergillus mold. You may have the disease known as pulmonary aspergillosis .

What the risks are

There is a slight risk of anaphylactic shock (a severe reaction).

Special considerations

Not applicable.

Update Date: 1/26/2004

Daniel Levy, M.D., Ph.D., Infectious Diseases, Greater Baltimore Medical Center, Baltimore, MD. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.

©2009 [Privacy Policy] [Disclaimer]
Last updated: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:20:03 GMT