Please be patient! It may take up to ONE minute to load all the Engines.
Problems? Please contact our support.
Alternative namesMethanol is an extremely toxic substance, which can cause fatal damage to the kidneys, as well as blindness. It also causes a disturbance in blood pH which can lead to multiple system failure and death. It is found in shellacs and paint removers.
Home TreatmentSeek emergency medical care immediately. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Dilute by drinking water.
Before Calling EmergencyDetermine the following information:
Poison Control, or a local emergency numberSee Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
Expectations (prognosis)Methanol is extremely toxic. As little as 2 TABLEspoonfuls can be fatal to a child, and 2 to 8 oz. can be fatal to an adult. The ultimate outcome for the patient will be dependent on how much was swallowed and how soon appropriate care was given.
Update Date: 4/16/2004Cherlin Johnson, M.D., Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.
Last updated: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:20:03 GMT