Please be patient! It may take up to ONE minute to load all the Engines.
Problems? Please contact our support.
Sodium phosphate overdose
Alternative namesThis poisoning is from an overdose of sodium phosphate. It is contained in many industrial and some household products.
Poisonous IngredientSodium phosphate
Home TreatmentDO NOT INDUCE VOMITING.
If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.
If the chemical was swallowed, give water or milk IMMEDIATELY. However, DO NOT give liquid is the patient is vomiting or mental status appears altered.
Before Calling EmergencyDetermine the following information:
Poison Control, or a local emergency numberFollow all instructions given to you by the poison control center. It is always necessary to seek medical attention for this type of exposure. Take the container with you to the emergency room. See poison control centers for the national toll-free hotline.
What to expect at the emergency roomSome or all of the following procedures may be performed:
The prognosis (probable outcome) depends on how rapidly the alkali was diluted and neutralized. Extensive damage to the mouth, throat, eyes, lungs, esophagus, nose, and stomach are possible.
The ultimate outcome depends on the extent of this damage. Damage continues to occur to the esophagus and stomach for several weeks after the alkali was swallowed, and death may occur as long as a month later.
Update Date: 1/29/2004Cherlin Johnson, M.D., Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.
Last updated: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:20:03 GMT