Please be patient! It may take up to ONE minute to load all the Engines.
Problems? Please contact our support.
DefinitionPoisoning from the bite of a fire ant.
Home TreatmentThe best treatment is prevention where possible.
For those who have an allergy to insect bites or stings, it is important to carry a bee sting kit (which requires a prescription) and become familiar with how to use it if necessary.
Place ice (wrapped in a washcloth or other suitable covering) on the site of the bite for 10 minutes and then off for 10 minutes. Repeat this process. If the patient has circulatory problems, decrease the time to prevent possible damage to the skin.
After a bite, call Poison Control or a hospital emergency room for guidance if the person has an allergy to the insect. It may be necessary to go to the hospital if the reaction is severe.
Before Calling EmergencyDetermine the following information:
Poison Control, or a local emergency numberThey will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. If possible, bring the insect to the emergency room for identification.
What to expect at the emergency roomSome or all of the following procedures may be performed:
Expectations (prognosis)The sooner appropriate treatment is implemented, the more likely the outcome will be positive. Patients not allergic to fire ants should have a reversal of symptoms in a few hours to a few days.
Update Date: 2/23/2004Cherlin Johnson, M.D., Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.
Last updated: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:20:03 GMT